- Increase collaboration
- Leverage a broader range of domain expertise
- Meet requirements with a strong focus on testing
- Reduced cost and risk
- Promotes reuse and reduces the complexity of automation
Costs and limitations
- The biggest cost associated with implementing BDD is writing glue code. In most cases, this task falls on the development team, which shifts the burden of creating the test artifacts for validating the requirements from testers to developers.
- With BDD, testers, business analysts, and other stakeholders define behaviors in a feature file, but developers or people with code-writing skills are still required to write the glue code that maps the behaviors to the functionality. This characteristic of BDD adds to the cost of development.
Reducing costs and removing barriers of BDD adoption
Cucumber, SpecFlow and other BDD engines help organizations adopt BDD to a degree, but they stop short of addressing resource limitations, ease of adoption and other challenges. This is where Parasoft SOAtest can help.
- SOAtest is an API and UI functional testing solution that automates end-to-end test scenarios across multiple interfaces and a variety of endpoints.
- SOAtest reduces the costs of BDD by replacing the burdensome task of writing the glue code with a much simpler task of using a script-less test automation UI to define reusable test cases.
- By using SOAtest to define the “glue,” testers and business analysts are empowered to define the behaviors, enabling organizations to reallocate development resources to the nuts and bolts of creating software.