- Intelligent test creation and automated validation
With APIs, testing a broad range of conditions and corner cases is critical, so automation comes to the forefront. The creation and execution of simple automated tests with limited or manual validation might have sufficed for internal given web services that were used internally (e.g., via SOA), but more sophisticated and extensive automation is required to be confident that APIs are robust enough to meet business expectations.
- Change management for test assets and environments
A system for fast, easy and accurate updating of test assets is critical for keeping test assets in sync with the changing API. If you can automatically assess the impact of changes to existing tests and quickly update existing tests (or create new ones) in response to the identified change impacts, you can vastly reduce the amount of time required to ensure that your tests don’t fail due to expected changes or overlook critical new functionality.
- Service virtualization for simulated test environments
With service virtualization, you can create simulated test environments that provide access to the behavior of dependent resources that are unavailable, difficult to access, or difficult to configure for development or testing.
- Extensive performance testing with service virtualization
Due to the highly exposed nature of APIs, there’s a high potential for unpredictable and volatile traffic volumes. To determine whether your API will satisfy SLAs in the event of the erratic or surging demand that APIs commonly face, it’s essential to ramp up the scope of performance testing.
- Extensive security testing (with service virtualization
With the increasing attack surface area of APIs, a multi-faceted security testing strategy is essential to ensure you have built the appropriate level of security into your application.
- Building a comprehensive set of API tests is critical in order to guarantee that your APIs will take on only a reasonable level of risk.
- To tackle the challenges of building all necessary test cases to cover requirements, it is imperative to rely on a solution that can take you to the next level.
- Most importantly, taking advantage of service virtualization helps you make certain the proper test environment is available on demand.